The home country of the very famous cake “Apple Strudel” is Austria and it was in fact territory of Germany as well, way back when this territory was ruled by the Emperor. The Strudel dough must be so thin that it is possible to see a love letter on the other side. If you cannot do this, it is better if you buy the frozen strudel dough which needs to be filled and baked. My grandmother who came from the German part of Rumania used to make this delicious cake. We would eat it with vanilla sauce… ahhh… how delightful it was! Good luck with the recipe and let me know when you were successful.
250g flour, 1 pinch salt, 1 egg, 20g butter or margarine, some luke warm water
1,5 kg apples
80 g bread crumbs
125 g sugar
65 g raisins
65 g chopped almonds
1 sachet vanilla sugar, cinnamon
1/8 l sweet cream
baking board or a firm surface to prepare and make the dough (see picture)
How you’ll make it
On a baking board add flour, make a pit in the middle, add butter and salt and as much water you need, to make an elastic and smooth dough which can be kneaded. Cover it with a warm bowl and let it stand for 20 minutes.
Prepare the filling:
Peel apples, remove the core and cut it in fine slices
– Scald raisins and mix apples with breadcrumbs, sugar, almonds, cinnamon and raisins
– Put flour on the baking board and roll the dough and carefully stretch it to all sides until the dough is regularly smooth.
– Apply the cream on the dough and spread the filling all over the dough
– Roll it
– Grease a baking tray (or use parchment paper) and put the strudel on it
– Bake it for 60-70 minutes on 210-220 degrees C (see conversion page forF)
– While it is baking brush melted butter over the strudel
Enjoy it with whipped cream, vanilla sauce or vanilla icecream, and a cup of coffee. I prefer it warm!
Use a kitchen cloth when rolling the dough.
Put the strudel into a fireproof pan instead of a baking tray; sometimes the thin layer cracks and apple juice is dripping.
The less grease the dough has, the more thinner it can be made.
Wrap the strudel in aluminium foil, but not completely, have surface uncovered Tips