Do you know that you can use cucumbers in a soup? Yes, you can. Potatoes and cucumbers are in fact a classy combination plus dill, an herb which perfectly fits cucumbers. This soup is so yummy and healthy, you can buy the ingredients anywhere, which makes is really easy. I just made the soup today for dinner. Took me 20 minutes, and it was delicious. Enjoy your home made German potato soup!
1 medium sized or 2 small cucumbers
6 medium sized potatoes – 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch dices and boiled
3 cups cold water
1,5 tsp salt
ground black pepper, hint nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 medium size onion (cut in small pieces)
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill (or dried dill)
How to make it
– With a small, sharp knife peel the cucumber and slice it lengthwise intp halves. Scoop out the seeds by running the tip of a teaspoon down the center of each half. Cut it into 1/4 inch dices and set aside
– In a big pot bring the potatoes and the water to a boil (high heat). Reduce heat to moderate, add salt and pepper, cook uncovered until potatoes are soft and can easily mashed against the sides of the pot.
– With a potato masher mash the potatoes in the cooking water, don’t throw it away. You can also put them into a sieve which is set over a bowl, and with a large spoon force the potatoes through the sieve; or use a mixer or a food mill but not a blender.
– Add some butter in another pot (or use same one and keep mashed potatoes in a bowl) until foamy, then add onions and fry them until transparent (not brown)
Add potatoe puree to the onions, mix in the cream, and cucumbers
– Let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes in low heat (high heat will cause the milk to burn on the bottom of the pot)
– The soup is done when the cucumbers are tender but not too soft, they should be still a bit firm.
– Add the dill and serve it hot.