Germany is well known for its cakes (Kuchen) and Tarts (Torte). And the German ladies are also well known for their fabulous home made cakes which are the best. It is a tradition to meet Sunday afternoon for coffee and cake – Kaffe und Kuchen – either with family or friends, either at home or in a Cafe – it is always enjoyable because there will be cake served. You must know that all stores in Germany are closed on Sundays, and now guess, which stores are open? Cafes and bakeries (aside gas stations of course). Every village has its bakery and Sunday afternoon it is extra open for the traditional coffe ceremony. Enjoy the Creamy Peach Cake and let me know how it tasted…
200 g soft unsalted butter (or margarine)
150 g sugar
peel of 1 (organic, all natural) lemon
1 tbsp rum (or rum flavor)
300 g flour
50 g starch flour
50 g ground almonds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt, butter to grease the baking form
For the filling
2 cans peaches (preferably unsugared)
50 g sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
50 g ground almonds
For the Frosting
2 egg white
2 tbsp cold water
100 g sugar
half vanilla bean
2 egg yolk
2 tbsp hot water
40 g flour and 40 g starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
How you make it
– Mix butter, sugar, egg, lemon peel and rum in a bowl and whisk it until foamy
– Add flour and starch, almonds, cinnamon and a bit salt
– Knead the dough until it is smooth
– Keep it covered in the fridge for 1 hour
– Now grease with butter a 24cm diameter spring form and fill in the dough. Make an 1 inch high edge all around.
– Bake it in the preheated oven by 200 degrees or 390 F for about 20 minutes in the middle.
– Put peach halves into a sieve and allow the juice to drip off. Place them on the cake, one after the other
– Mix sugar with cinnamon and together with almonds sprinkle it over the peaches
– Whisk egg white with water firmly; add slowly vanilla and sugar
– In another bowl whisk egg yolk with hot water until creamy – then mix it with the egg white.
– Mix flour, starch and baking powder and fold in the egg mix.
– Paste it onto the peaches
– Bake cake for another 15 minutes on same temperature
– when done get the cake out of the form and sprinkle it with powdered sugar
Voila – the cake is ready to be served.