In Germany it is also called” Black Bread” – “Schwarzbrot”, a healthy and zesty bread. You cannot get it in every supermarket and it took me a while to find the places which are selling European style bread. Today I found in one of my old baking cooking books a recipe for Pumpernickel! What do you say? Great, I thought, let’s post it. This recipe is for people who like to eat healthy and who love to bite into a piece of bread which is chewy and is full of nature. I love it! It is not so difficult to make your own healthy bread.
Here we go:
150 g potatoes or 1 medium sized one
0.30 l destilled water
1 1/2 teasp dry yeast
1 teasp brown sugar (cane sugar)
25 g molasses
15 g margarine
350 g whole wheat flour (type 1700)
100 g whole rye flour (type 1800)
2 teasp salt
25 g bran
25 g cornmeal
1/2 teasp caraway
How to make it1. Peel potatoes, boil them and mash them thoroughly (you can press them through a sieve) – let it cool off.
Put 4 tbsp warm destilled water into a bowl, add yeast and sugar.
Keep it at a warm place until the solution becomes bubbly
2. Take molasses and margarine and let it melt in the remaining hot water – let it cool off.
3. Take 100 g wheat flour and all of the rye flour and add it to the yeast mix. Mix in salt, bran, corn meal and cooled off molasses. Stir it very well for about 2 minutes on high speed with the mixer.
4. Then add 50 g wheat flour and the mashed potatoe and continue mixing the dough for 4 minutes until dough is thick. Add caraway and remaining wheat flour. Put dough on a floured board, cover it with a dish and let it stay there for 15 minutes.
5. Start kneading the dough until it is smooth (for about 15 minutes).
6. Put the dough into a bowl, cover it with an oiled plastic bag (take a plastic bag and oil the inside; this is been done so that the dough won’t stick onto the plastic) and let it rise at a warm place. Dough amount needs to double in size.
7. Repeat this one more time (knead dough a bit, put it in dish, cover it) let rise for another 30 minutes.
8. Then put it into a loaf pan (enough for 1kg)
9. Put the filled loaf pan into an oiled plastic bag; let dough rise more at a warm place until it is reaching the top of the loaf pan.
10. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C or 360 F and bake it for 45-50 minutes on the upper level.
11. When done turn the pan and let the bread cool off on a grid.